Tier 1 Visa for Investors in UK

Updated on Tuesday 07th November 2017

Rate this article
based on 4 reviews

Tier 1 Visa for Investors in UK Image
The Tier 1 visa for investors in UK is for high net worth persons who can make a considerable investment in the country of at least GBP 2,000,000. Just like in the case of other visas in this country, the candidates for this type of visa have to originate from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and they have to satisfy the other eligibility requests. For a better understanding of the conditions related to the Tier 1 visa for investors, we suggest you ask for legal support from our immigration solicitors in London. With a wide experience in immigration matters, our team can help investors settle in the UK.

Eligibility criteria in UK

An applicant for a UK Tier 1 visa for investors has to meet the following requirements:

•    be at least 18 years old;
•   prove that the investment capital belongs to him/her or to his/her husband/wife/unmarried or same-sex partner;
•    have a  bank account opened in the UK;
•    the investment capital is kept in one or more regulated financial institutions;
•    the investment capital is free for spending in the UK.

There is no requirement for the English language knowledge, and one should know that work, study, and business activities are allowed with this kind of visa. Please let us know if you need assistance and representation on this issue.

Family members in UK

The candidate’s family for the UK Tier 1 visa for investors, including husband, wife, partner or children under 18 years old, can join the person who applies for this type of visa to live with him/her in the UK. Our immigration solicitors in UK can give you more details on this matter including information about the financial requirements, if any.

Time frame of the Tier 1 investor visa in UK

A Tier 1 investor visa in the UK allows you to live inside the country for up to three years and four months, after which you are able to apply for a visa extension for another two years.  

Rights and obligations

After being granted the visa, there are certain things that you will be able to do and others that you will not, as follows. You will be allowed to:

•    invest at least GBP 2,000,000 in government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading companies that are registered in the UK;
•    work or study;
•    apply to settle in the UK after two years, if you have invested a capital of GBP 10 million;
•    apply to settle in the UK after three years, if you invest a capital of GBP 5 million.

You cannot:

•    invest in companies that have to do with property investment, property management or property development;
•    work as a sportsperson or sports coach;
•    have access to public funds;
•    work as a doctor or a dentist in training unless certain conditions apply.

Students with sponsorship in UK

Foreign students in UK who can make proof of their sponsorship, have the possibility of applying for a Tier 1 visa for investors. This is available for student nurses, postgraduate doctors or dentists, qualified nurses from abroad or sabbatical officers who are students in UK. When applying for a Tier 1 visa for investors, one should prepare an unconditional covenant signed by the sponsor, in which details about the finances must be mentioned. In other words, a student must provide information about the investment funds obtained through his/her sponsorship.

Documents preparation for a Tier 1 visa for investors in UK

Besides the valid passport and other identification documents, individuals who want to obtain the Tier 1 visa for investors need to provide a criminal record certificate for the last ten months, in order for the authorities in UK to verify the criminal background. Citizens from countries like Belarus, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, China, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Haiti, Indonesia, Lesotho, Micronesia, Nepal, Panama, Russia, Senegal, Thailand, Ukraine, or Vietnam are subject to a Tuberculosis test. As for the partners who can provide the investment money, they should prepare the marriage or civil partnership certificate.

We are a group of immigration lawyers in London who work together with our clients on all visa and immigration-related issues. If you wish to apply for a Tier 1 visa for investors in UK, please feel free to contact us


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.