Tier 1 Visa for Investors in UK
Updated on Thursday 09th June 2016
Rate this article 1 reviewsbased on
The Tier 1 visa for investors in UK is for high net worth persons who make a considerable investment – of at least GBP 2,000,000 in the UK. Just like in the case of other visas in this country, the candidates for this type of visa have to originate from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and they have to satisfy the other eligibility requests.
Eligibility criteria in UK
An UK Tier 1 visa for investors applicant has to meet the following requirements:
• be at least 18 years old;
• prove that the investment capital belongs to him/her or to his/her husband/wife/unmarried or same-sex partner;
• have a bank account opened in the UK;
• the investment capital is kept in one or more regulated financial institutions;
• the investment capital is free for spending in the UK.
There is no requirement for English knowledge abilities. Work, study and business activities are allowed with this kind of visa. Please let us know if you need assistance and representation on this issue.
Family members in UK
The candidate’s family for the UK Tier 1 visa for investors, including husband, wife, partner or children under 18 years old, can join the person who applies for this type of visa to live with him/her in the UK. Our immigration solicitors in UK can give you more details on this matter.
Time frame of the Tier 1 investor visa in UK
A Tier 1 investor visa in the UK allows you to live inside the country for up to three years and four months, after which you are able to apply for a visa extension for another two years.
Rights and obligations
After being granted the visa, there are certain things that you will be able to do and others that you will not, as follows.
You will be allowed to:
• invest at least GBP 2,000,000 in government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading companies that are registered in the UK;
• work or study;
• apply to settle in the UK after two years, if you have invested a capital of GBP 10 million;
• apply to settle in the UK after three years, if you invest a capital of GBP 5 million.
• invest in companies that have to do with property investment, property management or property development;
• work as a sportsperson or sports coach;
• have access to public funds;
• work as a doctor or a dentist in training unless certain conditions apply.
We are a group of immigration lawyers in London who work together with our clients on all visa and immigration-related issues. If you wish to apply for a Tier 1 visa for investors in UK, please contact us.