Spouse Visa for UK
Updated on Thursday 09th June 2016
Rate this article 2 reviewsbased on
Also known as a marriage visa, the spouse visa for UK – similar to a fiance visa – is necessary for persons who are married with an UK citizen or permanent resident. It allows the married partner of an UK citizen or permanent resident to immigrate to the UK. In order to apply for a spouse visa in the UK, you have to originate from outside the European Economic Aria (EEA) or Switzerland.
Spouse visa eligibility in the UK
In order to be eligible for a spouse visa in the UK, you have to meet the next requirements:
• You and your married partner have to be at least 18 years of age;
• You have a genuine relationship with your married partner, therefore you should have met each other;
• You intend to live together;
• You dispose of enough reserves to sustain yourselves and your dependents, if any, without claiming public funds;
• Your sponsoring spouse has to earn an income of more than GBP 18,600 per year or dispose of sufficient savings to sponsor you. The financial requirement is bigger if sponsoring dependent minors. Please contact our UK immigration lawyers if you need more details on this subject.
• You have to dispose of accommodation for you, your partner and children, if any;
• You have to meet the English language requirements, unless you are a citizen of certain countries.
Duration of the spouse visa in the UK
The spouse visa is initially issued for 33 months, if applying from overseas. After moving to the UK, you have the possibility to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently.
Visa application in the UK
You are able to apply for a spouse visa in the UK from outside or within the country. If you already live in the UK with a fiance, work or have a student visa valid for more than six months, you can change it to a spouse visa.
Dependent visas in the UK
Minors can come to the UK as your dependents. You should apply for a spouse visa dependent for them at the same date when you apply for your own visa, also providing proof that your sponsoring spouse meets the financial requirements imposed for such situations.
Work in the UK
After you have been granted the spouse visa, you will be able to work within the UK.
We are immigration lawyers in London who provide services for clients who need help with immigration and visas in the UK. If you need more information about any UK spouse visa related matters, please contact us.