Spouse Visa for UK

Updated on Thursday 21st September 2017

Rate this article
based on 3 reviews

Spouse Visa for UK Image
Also known as a marriage visa, the spouse visa for UK is necessary for persons who are married to a UK citizen or a permanent resident. It allows the married partner of a UK citizen or permanent resident to immigrate to the UK. In order to apply for a spouse visa in the UK, you have to originate from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Our immigration solicitors in London can provide you with complete information and guidance if you want to apply for a spouse visa.

Spouse visa eligibility in the UK

In order to be eligible for a spouse visa in the UK, you have to meet the next requirements:

•     you and your married partner have to be at least 18 years of age;
•     you have a genuine relationship with your married partner, therefore you should have met each other;
•     you intend to live together; 
•     you dispose of enough reserves to sustain yourselves and your dependents, if any, without claiming public funds;
•    your sponsoring spouse has to earn an income of more than GBP 18,600 per year or dispose of sufficient savings to sponsor you. The financial requirement is bigger if sponsoring dependent minors;
•    you have to dispose of accommodation for you, your partner and children, if any;
•    you have to meet the English language requirement unless you are a citizen of certain countries.

Duration of the spouse visa in the UK

The spouse visa is initially issued for 33 months, if applying from overseas. After moving to the UK, you have the possibility to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently. You are able to apply for a spouse visa in the UK from outside or within the country. If you already live in the UK with a fiance, work or have a student visa valid for more than six months, you can change it to a spouse visa. We remind that our immigration lawyers in UK are able to provide you with information and legal assistance if you want to relocate in the country and you need a particular type of visa.

Dependent visas in the UK

Minors can come to the UK as your dependents. You should apply for a spouse visa dependent for them at the same date when you apply for your own visa, also providing proof that your sponsoring spouse meets the financial requirements imposed for such situations.

Work in the UK with a spouse visa

A spouse visa can grant persons outside the UK to legally work in the country. One should know that they can have part-time jobs if they also study in the country. In this case, they can have numerous benefits like health insurance, holiday breaks, bonuses, promotions, or training session. With a spouse visa, a person can be a self-employed once he/she registered for the National Insurance Contributions (NIC) and paid the taxes in accordance with the rules and regulations of Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. The same spouse visa will be considered if you search for a job with the help of recruitment agencies in London which are in collaboration with companies with headquarters in UK.

We are immigration lawyers in London who provide services for clients who need help with immigration and visas in the UK. If you need more information about any UK spouse visa related matters, please contact us


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.