Relocating to the UK

Updated on Monday 09th January 2017

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Relocating to the UK Image
Once you’ve decided that the United Kingdom is the proper place for you, it’s time to make a list with all the important issues before heading over. 
It is an extensive process, and depends on whether you’re going over for a year on a working holiday, or moving the entire family across for an indefinite period. If all the features of moving in the UK are studied carefully and given generous time to be accomplished, your relocation will be made considerably easier. 

Our immigration solicitors in London can offer proper guidance and suitable information if you want to relocate to the UK. Here is a list of things you should take into consideration if you want to start a new life in the United Kingdom.

Obtaining the Visa

The starting point for any successful move in the UK is securing the proper visa for you and your family. If you are not a citizen of the EU (European Union), EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland you may need a visa to enter the UK, and will certainly need to apply for a visa if you propose on remaining longer than 6 months. Decide what you want to do in the UK and then look into your visa options, with the help and legal assistance of our immigration lawyer in London.

As a reminder, you must apply through one of the visa application centers which are situated all over the world. Visa applications for the UK must be filled in English and can take up to 15 working days to process. For this reason, it is recommended that you apply for your visa as soon as possible, before you intend on relocating to the UK.

Financial info

Citizens should know that it may take some time to open an account once they arrive in the UK. This is a good reason why people should open a bank account in the home state that has a UK branch, or keep the current account open until they will be able to open a bank account in the UK.

Travelers' cheques are generally allowed in English banks and you should buy them in pounds to eliminate changing currencies twice. Also, the credit cards are accepted and the ATM machines are not hard to find. No matter the nationality, anyone will receive free emergency treatment at “’Accident & Emergency “departments of NHS (National Health Service) hospitals. Travel insurance is still recommended because it offers better flexibility and covers costs for urgent repatriation.

School system in the UK

There are two types of schools in the UK, state and independent. The main difference between them has to do with finance. State schools are supported by the government, while independent schools are sponsored by parents' costs. State primary schools refer to children aged 5-11, while secondary schools teach youngsters aged 11-16. Another proper option is an international school, which is mainly a good idea if you plan to move back home. These schools are exclusively prepared for children of expatriates, and frequently offer a diversity of educations. No matter what school you choose, it is a good idea to check its presentation tables, in order to find out how other children are performing on standardized examinations and how many scholars reach the government's literacy rate.

Finding a job in the UK

How fast you will be able to find work in the UK depends on the job market in your domain, your qualifications and whether you will have to be certified or not, among other conditions. It is sometimes essential to have your credentials, i.e. diplomas, degrees, certificates evaluated in order to compare to UK criteria, in order to find a job in the UK. You might have to take extra duties once you are relocated to the UK, or get licensed to practice in your domain by the UK controlling organization.

Quarantine rules in the UK

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) lets pet animals from certain states to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet a few procedures. 
It also means that persons in the UK can take the pets to these states, bring them back without the requirement for quarantine. To bring your pet into the UK under PETS from one of the qualifying states you must take into consideration the following measures:

•    the six-month rule; once the vet has contracted the PETS certificate and the six month period has passed, the PETS certificate is legal and your pet can enter the UK;
•    have your animal microchipped;
•    have your animal vaccinated;
•    make the blood test;
•    sign a declaration of residency;
•    get a PETS certificate;
•    treat the animals against tapeworms;
•    arrange the travel for your pet on an accepted route.

Please feel free to contact our immigration lawyers in London, for any other information about relocating to the UK.


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.