Family Visa for UK

Updated on Saturday 18th February 2017

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Family Visa for UK Image
Family visas or “family of a settled person” visas for UK are granted when a person from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland applies to join family or a partner living permanently inside the UK, for a period of six months or more.  However, if you are already married to an UK citizen or permanent resident, the spouse visa will apply. 

Requirements for family visas in UK

In order to be eligible for the family visa, you have to prove that:

•    You are 18 years of age or older, unless you are applying as a child;
•    Your relationship with your family member is veritable;
•    You intend to continue living together with your family member or partner inside the country after the date of your application;
•    You and your family have suitable accommodation in the UK;
•    You posses satisfactory knowledge of English unless you are a citizen of certain countries;
•    You have taken the tuberculosis test, if you originate from a country where such tests have to be made.

UK Family Visa for Joining Your Partner

If you want to join a partner who is living permanently in the UK, you have to prove that you and your partner are at least 18 years of age and that your relationship is genuine. You and your partner have to:

•    be married or be civil partners;
•    have been living together in a relationship for at least  two years;
•    be engaged or about to become civil partners.

You have to meet the financial requirements of:

•    GBP 18,600 per year if the application is made only for yourself;
•    GBP 22,400 per year for yourself and one child and GBP 2,400 per year for each additional child.

If you are engaged, you have to prove that you intend to get married or form a civil partnership within six months from the date of your arrival in the UK. During your engagement, you will not have the right to work. If you plan to bring your children in the UK, they have to be under 18 years of age and you will have to apply for them separately.

Family visa in the UK for joining your parents

If you are a child under 18 years of age, you can apply for a family visa for UK under the following requirements:

•    you must live with your parent or with your single parent;
•    you have to prove that you are not married, in a civil partnership or that you are not living alone;
•  you have to prove that you are supported financially by your parent/s and that you have appropriate accommodation, without having to use public funds.

A family visa for UK also can imply that you are coming to the country to look after your child or to be looked after, if you are an adult dependent relative. If you need more details on the requirements for these cases, please notify our UK immigration lawyers.

We offer a wide range of services for many types of visas in the UK. Over the course of many years, we have assisted numerous clients with their immigration applications and we were able to turn their immigration objectives into reality. Contact one of our immigration solicitors in London now if you have any questions regarding any immigration issues in the UK.


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.