Family Visa for UK
Updated on Monday 09th October 2017
Rate this article 3 reviewsbased on
Family visas or “family of a settled person” visas for UK are granted when a person from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland applies to join family or a partner living permanently inside the UK for a period of six months or more. However, if you are already married to a UK citizen or permanent resident, the spouse visa will apply. Our immigration solicitors in London can provide you with some wide-ranging details about how to apply for a family visa in UK, and the requirements in this matter. Also, you may address to our team if you are a settled citizen in the UK and you are interested in obtaining the British citizenship.
Requirements for family visas in UK
In order to be eligible for the family visa, you have to prove that:
• you are 18 years of age or older unless you are applying as a child;
• your relationship with your family member is veritable;
• you intend to continue living together with your family member or partner inside the country after the date of your application;
• you and your family have a suitable accommodation in the UK;
• you possess satisfactory knowledge of the English language unless you are a citizen of certain countries;
• you have taken the tuberculosis test if you originate from a country where such tests have to be made.
UK Family Visa for Joining Your Partner
If you want to join a partner who is living permanently in the UK, you have to prove that you and your partner are at least 18 years of age and that your relationship is genuine. You and your partner have to:
• be married or be civil partners;
• have been living together in a relationship for at least two years;
• be engaged or about to become civil partners.
You have to meet the financial requirements of:
• GBP 18,600 per year if the application is made only for yourself;
• GBP 22,400 per year for yourself and one child and GBP 2,400 per year for each additional child.
If you are engaged, you have to prove that you intend to get married or form a civil partnership within six months from the date of your arrival in the UK. During your engagement, you will not have the right to work. If you plan to bring your children in the UK, they have to be under 18 years of age and you will have to apply for them separately.
Family visa in the UK for joining your parents
If you are a child under 18 years of age, you can apply for a family visa for UK under the following requirements:
• you must live with your parent or with your single parent;
• you have to prove that you are not married, in a civil partnership or that you are not living alone;
• you have to prove that you are supported financially by your parents and that you have appropriate accommodation, without having to use public funds.
A family visa for UK can also imply that you are coming to the country to look after your child or to be looked after if you are an adult dependent relative. If you need more details on the requirements for these cases, please notify our UK immigration lawyers.
Spouse visa for UK
The spouse visa comes with about the same requirements as for a marriage visa and it is available for citizens outside the EEA or from Switzerland. The partners need to be at least 18 years of age, plan to live together in the UK and dispose of enough financial resources to sustain themselves without asking or applying for public funds. We mention that a marriage visa can be obtained by partners who make proof of the engagement, but considering that once having this visa, they must get married within 6 months, and they cannot apply for a job in the UK, as a different kind of visa is necessary.
What you can do with a family visa in UK
Once the family visa has been issued, you can also bring your minor children in the UK. Even better, when applying for a family visa, make sure to apply for a spouse visa dependent, considering the financial requirements in this matter. A family visa allows citizens to work in the UK with the same benefits as for any other nationals in the country. Please keep in mind that if for any reasons your visa application has been rejected, our UK immigration lawyers are ready to provide you with complete support and assistance in immigration issues. Also, your visa application might prolong if several documents and requirements must be fulfilled or the English language condition is not met yet.
We offer a wide range of services for many types of visas in the UK. Over the course of many years, we have assisted numerous clients with their immigration applications and we were able to turn their immigration objectives into reality. Please contact one of our immigration solicitors in London now if you have any questions regarding any immigration issues in the UK.