Civil Partner Visa for UK
Updated on Monday 09th October 2017
Rate this article 4 reviewsbased on
A civil partner visa for UK, the same as a marriage visa for people of opposite sex, allows an individual who is in a same-sex relationship to live in the UK with his/her British citizen or UK permanent resident partner. The visa candidate has to be a citizen of a non-European Economic Area (EEA) country. A civil partnership is a registered relationship between two people of the same sex. In this matter, our immigration solicitors in London can provide complete support and legal advice.
Requirements for civil partner visa for UK
If two partners of the same sex are in a relationship similar to a marriage, they can apply for this type of visa. In order to qualify for a civil partner visa for UK, the candidate has to prove that:
• he/she is at least 16 years of age;
• he/she is free from other commitments to engage in a civil partnership (single, divorced or widowed);
• he/she is not closely related to his/her partner;
• he/she has met his/her partner prior to the date of the visa application;
• he/she is in a civil partnership with his/her same-sex partner;
• he/she lives together with his/her partner;
• he/she is able to support himself/herself and his/her children, if any, or that they can be supported by the candidate’s partner, without having to appeal to public funds.
• the couple has to prove they have appropriate accommodation for themselves and their dependants, if any.
Legal civil partnership or same-sex marriages in the UK
Two partners of the same sex can:
• register for a legal partnership in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland;
• get married in England, Scotland and Wales;
• convert their civil partnership into a marriage in England, Scotland and Wales.
Civil partner visa if the partner is settled in UK
If you are a citizen from a country outside EU (European Union) or EEA (Europan Economic Area) and you wish to join the same-sex partner who is established in UK, you are suggested to apply for a family of a settled person visa. This kind of application is recommended for citizens who want to stay in the country for more than just 6 months and can be prolonged on request. Please consider that if you stay in UK for less than 6 months, a marriage or a civil partnership visitor visa is required. This visa does not allow you to work in the UK, apply for public funds or study for more than 30 days, as a different type of visa is available on this matter.
Documents and other conditions for a civil partner visa for UK
While in UK with your partner, it is necessary to give notice at the designated register office within 28 days about the intention of getting married in the country. The foreign citizen must provide details about his/her nationality, address, and other personal data, where the passport and the ID are required. And in cases where the partners already live in the UK, one with foreign nationality must offer the proof he/she has the indefinite leave to remain status in the UK. Besides that, the main requirements are related to the financial matters, English language skills, and relationship. Please consider that the conditions regarding the financial aspects before entering the civil partnership in UK can be entirely explained by our immigration lawyers in London, in order for you to benefit from the best possible result in your case.
UK civil partner visa length
The civil partner visa for UK is issued for 33 months if the candidate applies from overseas, or 30 months if applying from inside the country. You can further prologue it for another 30 months, which will take you to reside in the UK up to five years. After these years, if you are still living with your initial civil partner, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Our immigration lawyers in UK are qualified to offer you broad guidance for all types of UK visas and work permits. We have extensive experience involving immigration issues in this country and we can successfully guide you through the visa process in the least amount of time with ease.
Please feel free to contact us if you wish to receive the right advice regarding immigration issues within the UK, including the one related to the civil partner visa for UK.